Tuesday 12 May 2015

To hell with passion!

You read it everywhere: Blogs, guide books. Hell! Every kind of media you ever come in contact with tells you:

If you want to be successful at something, you HAVE to be passionate.

And I say BULL-shit !

For too long, I have believed this lie. Not only is this the most-overused word like…EVER! no, it’s also complete bullocks. If you have been told that passion will get you anywhere, and you’ve wondered why you have gotten NOWHERE, then we gotta create a new mindset which is my stuck in trade.

Here’s what I mean:

The last two months have been the MOST productive ones EVER, and I mean ever with capital E.

Because I work on the things I'm supposed to be doing everyday, 10-14 hours, get a good night sleep (sometimes no sleep at all) and start the fire all over again.

Is it because I’m so passionate ? No. It’s because I’m MAD AS HELL.




I was passionate once. I looked at my stats, and I saw that I wasn’t nearly at the level I wanted to be. I look at other people in my niche, and I see how far ahead they are, (some of my mates already have successful careers)

I see their stuff, and I scream: F&$K that.  I can do what they’re doing, and I can do it BETTER. Fire started burning in me, and I felt stronger than a thousand suns.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

My anger turned into insane productivity, and I’m achieving more in one week than I did in one month before. Not because of passion, but because I let wrath consume my body, and I’m enjoying every bit of it.

Sounds like I’m a crazy mofo, but if you look at history, you will see similar examples.

Martin Luther King didn’t start his revolution by being passionate. He didn’t wake up and say: Mmm, I don’t really like how black people get treated in this country (USA), thank god I’m so passionate – I want to change that !

Zzzzzz. That’s not how he mobilized the whole country. If you read his bio, and look at his speeches, you will see that he was mad. Mad as hell.

He was FED UP with the racism in America. He couldn’t take it anymore that black people were treated like shit, and that’s what fueled his crusade. In his last year, he was so restless friends said he could NOT relax: He jumped from one speech to another, spread his message and gathered huge, and I mean HUGE crowds. Martin Luther King was tense until his LAST breath.




Let’s face it – It’s the angry people that change the world. And who cares about changing the world – if you just want to change your world you have to accept the fact:

Balance won’t get you anywhere.

Happy, passionate “I feel so good & comfy” people don’t do SHIT. And why should they ? There’s no pressure, no tension telling them to make stuff happen. Why would you move your lazy ass if everything’s fine, not awesome, but fine ? Exactly, you wouldn’t move a finger. But if you were mad, the game would be different:

You’d say: hell, I don’t like my current situation, I HATE it, and I must change it. Only when you’re mad – when you feel that tension WITHIN you – will you move and work like crazy to achieve what you wanna achieve.

Yoda was wrong. (Yup! I said so) Anger doesn’t lead to the dark side, at least not when you’re channeling it into something constructive. Raw, vibrant anger is much stronger than passion.



So, instead of telling yourself garbage like “What am I passionate about?”, ask yourself: “What am I mad about ?” “How can I get really angry about my current life/situation/business/academic perfromance, how can I get MAD AS HELL ?” and once you’re in that energetic state, use it to get what you want and take massive action.
Now being passionate is ok but it's not nearly as productive as when your mad at a situation.

What do you fink? What’s fueling your drive ? What can you GET MAD about and just DO stuff?

4 comments:

  1. Wow. I have been hit by this post. It will cause a massive paridigm shift for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm.. What a post! Interesting. Be angry, be mad, be crazy to invoke change. Not completely smashing being passionate. But I think both work hand in hand.

    Now this is what I'm trying to say. You kinda have to be passionate about something before you can invite the madness that might help in executing it. Martin Luther King was tired of how blacks were treated before he became mad........ But I think he was passionate about fighting against racism, he must have loved the idea of fighting against it. I'm not his son, I don't know, just saying.
    I'm passionate about singing, but it's getting me nowhere, but because I love doing it, I'll invoke the madness to do the necessary things to make me bloom in what I'm passionate about- singing. Same goes with writing, journalism- the journalists especially, jeez.. Id say they love their profession more than anything, they're passionate about it! And because of the passion, they'll do every mad possible thing to get a story for publishing. And the list goes on.

    I LOVE the idea of getting mad, but you have to be passionate about it and make sure it's worth getting mad for. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankk ya sweedy. I fink we're almost saying the same thing. Passion is good. But to be an achiever ( and I'm talking the a-lister kinda achiever), you gonna need a lot more than just your passion.

      Delete