Thursday 4 December 2014

Graduation shower

An Imo State University student was reported to have died recently following a fall into a soak-away pit while trying too run away from his peers who tried to pour water on him on completion of his final exams.
Different cultures have ceremonies that are performed which indicate rite of passage upon graduation.
In my part of the world, what we do is bath people with water( At least that's what it used to be). . . . .more like a graduation shower. This is a norm in most institutions in Nigeria as it's not a documented event neither are there rules on how it should be done.
While I agree that this practice can be fun( ask me how much that translates to in naira and kobo), its a practice that in my opinion has no moral, social, economic or whatever benefit. Now before you jump to the comment box and call me boring uptight girl, hear me out.
How do you go about chasing someone with buckets of water( can't even ascertain the source of the water) I remember my eyes were filled with sand because on my 'graduation shower day' some guys from no where high-jacked me with muddy water and malt. My shirt was never the same again. It was ruined! Some go as far as pouring all sought of liquid e.g paint, palm oil, olive oil (common!) I'm no scientist but I think these things are toxic to our bodies. A friend of mine caught a serious cold because she was showered on a really cold day.  The death of this student is just one of the many things that can go wrong. People have sustained serious injuries and even had acid baths in some instances. No wonder some schools have placed a ban on such activities. 

Ok, I'm not against the whole ceremony because it's actually fun(when done right) and  it's a way friends and loved ones celebrate your new statues, but we take the fun too much to the extreme sometimes.
While graduation is a time for gratitude and celebration- this should be done safely,devoid of harm and accidents. 
As the academic year comes to a close in most institutions, please celebrate safely. . . . . and don't forget, there is a huge labour market waiting for you. Lol

A big Shout out to the latest 2014 graduates. Rock steady! 

No comments:

Post a Comment